Unit 2 Goethe's Faust, Part I
Learning Objectives for Part 1
Faust's pact with Mephisto, engraving by Julius Nisle after Goethe's Faust, ca. 1840. Wikipedia (public domain)
- Trace the genesis of Goethe's Faust.
- Explain the significance of the discussions between Mephistopheles and God in the Prologue in Heaven.
- Identify the differences between Marlowe's pact scene and Goethe's wager scene.
- Identify Faust's major goals in Part I.
- Identify Mephistopheles' essential characteristics.
- Compare Goethe's Mephistopheles with Marlowe's Mephastophilis.
- Explain Goethe's concept of polar opposites and cite examples of it.
- Identify the role and significance of magic in the play.
- Identify the different types of knowledge in Faust.
- State why Gretchen is saved.
- Identify the function of the Gretchen episode.