Legal Studies 479
Unit 7: Land Use and Planning
After completing this unit, you should be able to
- list the persons or bodies granted power under Part 17 of the Municipal Government Act and describe their powers and roles;
- list the planning documents that govern planning in municipalities and describe their functions;
- describe the process for subdivision and identify practical considerations for municipalities in the subdivision process;
- describe the types of uses contained in a land use bylaw and when municipalities may wish to use them;
- describe the appeal process for both subdivision and development appeals, including limitations on appeals to the Court of Appeal;
- describe the jurisdiction of the Municipal Government Board, including the process to appeal intermunicipal disputes;
- outline the impact of the Alberta Land Stewardship Act upon planning in Alberta; and
- describe how municipalities regulate construction within their jurisdiction.
Plus 15 skywalks in Calgary, Alberta. Author: Qyd. Wikimedia Commons. Retrieved April 4, 2012.