Legal Studies 479
Unit 5: Public Utility Services
After completing this unit, you should be able to
- explain what public utilities are;
- list the ways in which public utilities can be provided in municipalities;
- describe the ways in which municipalities may obtain infrastructure and the methods of financing the construction of public utilities;
- list the operational considerations for the provision of public utilities;
- describe a municipality’s liability and defences relating to the provision of public utilities; and
- list possible considerations for the provision of solid waste.
Citizens look to their municipalities for the provision of essential services: the provision of water, the removal of sanitary sewage, and the disposal of solid waste. The Municipal Government Act establishes the opportunities for municipalities to be engaged in providing these services to their citizens. Should municipalities choose to directly provide these services, the Municipal Government Act sets out the obligations and limitations for municipalities regarding the provision of the services. The statutory authorization for municipalities to provide public utilities is found in section 7(g). This section permits a municipality to pass bylaws respecting public utilities.